POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire frame? : Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr= Server Time
6 Oct 2024 23:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone patch POV so that you can output an isosurface as a wire fr=
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 9 Nov 2002 04:55:06
Message: <3dccdb7a@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> In article <3dcc3148@news.povray.org>, Simon Adameit <gom### [at] gmxde>
> wrote:
> It isn't what I meant by volumetric rendering, but it does require
> sampling a volume...it seems to do "ray marching", stepping along the
> ray until point density goes above a threshold, then using the points
> within a certain distance of that location (though the abstract says
> within a distance to the ray, which doesn't seem to make sense) to
> figure out an approximation of the real distance.

They dont use ray marching but instead they put a disc at each point and
intersect the ray with these to see if an intersection occured. They
only consider points within a certain distance to the ray. If there is
an intersection they interpolate it from all the points within a short
cylinder that is started at that location.